Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Project 1 - Experience Enrichment

Product Poster:


Context of use:


Four Pleasures Analysis:

A product that has hardly changed over time is the Ventolin puffer for asthma sufferers. Currently the puffer looks extremely medical and is not very ergonomic, this means that asthma sufferers do not enjoy using their puffer and try to hide it away when in public. All of these factors lead me to believe that there was lots of room for improvement in this product.

The brief for this project was to redesign a hand tool as to make the experience of the user a more enjoyable one by increasing the products pleasurability. When we got this brief I thought that the Ventolin puffer would be a perfect hand tool to redesign with the purpose of increasing its pleasurability, because there is nothing wrong with the functionality of the current puffer, only with how enjoyable the whole experience of the product is for the user. I decided that my target market for this product would be young sporty women in their 20’s, who are conscious about their health and fitness, but also their appearance.

In my design I decided that it would make sense for my puffer to use the same Ventolin canisters as the current solution. I made this decision because that means that the user can continue to buy the same canisters they used to, and functionally these aerosol canisters work well. In the current solution this canister sticks out the top of the puffer, which is largely the reason why these puffers look so medical. I decided that in my design the canister would be completely hidden from view to avoid this medical look.

Another main issue with the current puffers is that they are not very ergonomic, in particular the mouth piece. Early on I made a conscious decision the make the mouth piece less ridged and rubberised, as the increase ergonomics and thus increase the products pleasurability. I decided that the best material to use for this rubberised finish would be silicon rubber, as it is readily available in industry, and has the properties needed, such as being able to be washed up and moulded into different shapes needed. I also decided to use this material with a grip texture where you place your fingers on the product. I also decided to make sure that the puffer would fit well into the hand of a young woman, because ultimately this is who I was designing the product for.

A big factor that contributes to the overall pleasurability of a product is its aesthetics. The current puffer is very rectilinear, which is not very aesthetically pleasing to my target market. For this reason I decided to make the shape of the puffer more curvilinear, to appeal to them, and to fit in with other products they own. For the body of the puffer I decided to make it out of polypropylene. This was because this material is durable, able to be washed up and moulded into the shapes required.

Overall in redesigning the Ventolin puffer I have increased its ergonomic and aesthetic appeal, particularly to my target market. In doing so, I have increased the pleasurability of the product and enriched the experience of the user, thus fulfilling the brief.

5 comments:

  1. I really like how this has turned out. The shape really suits your target market and you have combined this with a slick colour scheme. It really hides the medical side associated with the puffer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The overall result of your puffer design is great. The finish of the puffer defiently hides the medical association and encourages suffers to be proud of their puffer. Your posters have a sense of flow, allowing your product to be distinguished but at the sametime able to fit in with the intended environment and user. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a great idea, and you have successfully captured your intended purpose with your model. The materials that you have selected sound very appropriate, and I agree that they will increase the pleasurability of this product! My only suggestion would be that you could maybe have a more femine colour scheme, as in my opinion the blue and white colours still create a clinical feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that the form very amusing, it looks very sleek and modern. It suits the target market very well and it doesn't compromise the purpose of the puffer. The colour scheme suggests that it is sterile. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought to choose this product to re-design, but it's clear you've put a lot of hard work and research into finding out where its weaknesses are and you've designed a really successful product. It's compact, portable, non-obtrusive and easy to operate. Overall I think it would be a pleasure to use. Great work!

    ReplyDelete